Tuesday, January 07, 2003

Dr. Mengele Of The Cat World

Many stories on the above, but this headline was the most, er, catchy. Seems in his med school days, budding surgeon Bill Frist adopted a great many shelter cats in order to, ah, "give them a good home, yeah, that's it, a good home."

"Gee, Bill, you must really love cats! That's the fourth one this month!"

"The other ones all, uh.... ran away! Yeah, they ran away,"

Now, I know I'm waaaaaay too much of a softie when it comes to kitties, and sometimes the animal rightsers are rhetorically over the top* - but this is just icky.

*Ask about my conspiracy theory that PETA got secret backchannel corporate funding in the late 80s and early 90s to discredit the environmental movement. I have absolutely no evidence, which, uh, proves the coverup is working.

Anyway, the local animal shelter reports that anyone doing the same thing in my town today (not necessarily in Mass. 25 or 30 years ago, I disclaim) would be subject to prosecution for animal cruelty and for falsifying a contact (the adoption agreement specifically excludes use of the pets for testing).

No comments: