Sunday, April 18, 2004

An automotive rock and roll cliche, or just great road music?

It seems like I spent the whole day today driving.

And I got in one of those moods where only one kind of music sounded right.

See, I always grossly overpack the music. A 15 block drive to the office takes 4 CDs. A run up to Cedar Rapids? At least ten. Weekend road trip to Wisconsin calls for a milk crate of 100.

Of course, I always play the same one or two for the whole trip, but the point is to have the wide selection AVAILABLE.

So Today I had maybe 20 CDs with me, but all I could play was Springsteen. Over and over and over.

Inspirational verse of the day #1

Blame it on the lies that killed us
Blame it on the truth that ran us down
you can blame it all on me Terry It don't matter to me now
when the breakdown hit at midnight there was nothing left to say
but I hated him
and I hated you when you went away


Now, I've never been to New Jersey. I suppose some parts of Cedar Rapids could PASS for Jersey if you look at `em just right. But anyway, that was today. Four lanes and Born To Run at top volume.

Inspirational verse # 2

In the tunnels uptown
The Rat's own dream guns him down
as shots echo down them hallways in the
night No one watches when the ambulance pulls away
Or as the girl shuts out the bedroom light

Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz
Between flesh and what's fantasy
and the poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be
And in the quick of a knife
they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand
but they wind up wounded, not even dead
Tonight
in
Jungleland


Both Inspirational Verses Of The Day end in gutteral Spring-screams. One of the things about great music of any kind: it doesn't hold anything back.

So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

No comments: