Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Pulkrabek crushes Slaughter



Pulkrabek attributed his victory to desire and hard work.

"I believe we put together a strong campaign," he said. "We started early, and the momentum carried us through."


Updated.

I like that headline, "crushes". Lonny is more gracious than I am so he probably wouldn't. Rod's just happy enough with "squeaks."

I'm really really tired and really really happy. The combination has made serious analysis impossible.

I will note that some states have "sore loser" laws: if you run in a primary and lose, you can't run as an independent or on another line in the general. Iowa does not.

I'd understand if, say, the vote had been close AND, say, there'd been a hot Republican governor primary or something. Then you could argue "I was the real People's choice and only the nasty evil Party thing kept me from winning." Then you might have an argument.

(Aside: Some time when I'm less sleep deprived I'll post a brilliant discussion of the value of political parties as important institutions of a democracy. But not now.)

But there was NOTHING on the GOP side, and the Republicans openly participated/interfered in the Democratic Party's nomination process. And the end result was:

CRUSHES

I do what I do because I want to try to make the world a better place, even if it's something little like a sheriff and a county supervisor in Iowa. But sometimes, in the moment of victory, you just wanna do a touchdown dance and say "crushes."

No comments: