Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Tonight's playlist

Tonight's playlist

Ride along computer cowboy
To the city just in time
To bring another system down
And leave your alias behind


Trans is the album that separates the Neil Young obsessives from... well, normal humans. Been spending the evening using my beat up but faithful laptop to overthrow the government (by strictly legit electoral means of course) in a cowboyish way.

I wanna rock and roll this party
I still wanna have some fun


Sheryl Crow is probably not Cool enough to buy at Championship Vinyl but so what. The line catches me because the only party I've been to lately is the kind with donkeys (not pin-the tail). And too many of my fellow donkeys have forgotten how to rock (look who they nominated).

You can climb a mountain
You can swim the sea
You can jump into the fire
But you'll never be free


Thy lyrics to Nilsson's lost classic do not capture the mood, you need the music. Most people including me know this as "that song from Goodfellas" in the coked-up, about to be busted "last day as a wise guy" sequence. Whenever I have a crazy day with way too many things in it, I hear this in my head. I need to make a CD of that whole sequence for driving and/or Italian cooking:

  • "Jump into the Fire", Nilsson
  • "Memo from Turner" and "Monkey Man", the Rolling Stones
  • "Magic Bus", the Who
  • "What Is Life", George Harrison
  • "Mannish Boy", Muddy Waters

    And the best closing credits ever:

  • "My Way" by Sid Vicious.

    Don't forget the razor blade for the garlic.
  • No comments: