Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Words of wisdom from a gal named Chapin

Well the Tori Amos kick is off for now. Nothing against her but I've found myself rolling down the road renewing a long lost relationship with one Mary-Chapin Carpenter.

She was just after my late-80s country radio era but close enough that I was still paying attention. I grabbed the CDs out of GOP Convention Disgust. Country progressive types are hard to find and I wasn't in a Steve Earle mood so I expected to fixate on:

I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote
I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette


But instead my brain zoomed in on

You can speak what’s on your mind
If you’ve got a gambler’s heart
You can be the truth incarnate
You can shoot straight in the dark


If there were true justice in country music Mary-Chapin Carpenter would be filling stadiums and Shania Twain would be waitressing at a Hooters in Daytona.

Plus every time I hear "Down At The Twist And Shout" I remember halftime of Super Bowl XXXI which as we all know had a happy ending. And she didn't even have to flash us.

No comments: