Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Biking at Noon

Biking at Noon

That's one of the ways I lost 30 pounds this year: Biking at noon since the laptop transmogrified into a small desktop with the death of the screen.

This noon I got dived at by a hawk and saw a bald eagle (a bird I can relate to) from a safer distance.

I really shouldn't be able to be cycling at this latitude on December 29th. But it's 45 degrees outside and after the cold wave a couple weeks ago I take what I can get. I passed a fellow in full ski gear riding roller skis and looking disgusted by the lack of snow.

My biggest problem with biking is the convention while passing someone of politely hollering "on your left!" (or right). For some strange reason I have never ever ever been able to instantly distinguish left from right. I mean spatially, of course; politically I know my left from right quite well. But I I have to think it through - every single time - something like this:

  • Hmm. I write with my right which is THIS one so that means... "On your left!"

    So if I run you over with my bike it's not for lack of trying.
  • No comments: