Monday, December 13, 2004

U2, O'Jays Are Rock Hall of Fame Inductees

ABC News: U2, O'Jays Are Rock Hall of Fame Inductees

"Irish rockers U2, R&B singers The O'Jays and soul balladeer Percy Sledge are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame during the foundation's 20th annual induction ceremony next year, the organization announced Monday."

The accolade was inevitable when the time arrived, but has it really been 25 years since those first low-fi Irish singles?!? U2 was really the first band taht was my age, and this moment is one more tick on the clock, even if they're still cool enough to debut at #1.

Had to burn some Britney Spears for my daughter this weekend. Not a pleasant task but at least by doing the work myself I didn't give Spears any money.

I'm not going to bash the looks and persona too much because it's too Tipper-like for comfort, though building a career out of a jailbait fantasy is kind of creepy. My real problem is that she can't sing and has nothing to say.

But the last thing I want to do is discourage my daughter's taste in music. I have to remember that I'm the parent now, and for 15 year olds everywhere parental disapproval of music is a definite plus. Just like when I was 15.

So when asked I just offer an honest opinion and a couple other current people I prefer who have more interesting messages (Pink, Gwen Stefani) or who can actually sing (Shakira, pre-skanky Christina Aguilera).

And sometimes the minds meet by accident - she actually likes the new U2. It seems the parental disapproval thing doesn't work both ways and parental approval is not an automatic killer.

No comments: