Thursday, June 02, 2005

Pentagon delays release of May recruiting data

Pentagon delays release of May recruiting data

Asked whether the move would simply delay the release of bad news, Krenke said, "That's not necessarily true," noting that "we expect the numbers to improve during the summer months."

Military recruiters have said potential recruits and their parents were expressing wariness about enlisting during the Iraq war. They said improving civilian job opportunities also were affecting recruiting.


"Improving civilian job opportunities"?!? In THIS economy? That's as good as Spinal Tap's "Boston's not a big college town." I know I get a little self-righteous about the military recruiting issue; my heart still feels that if no one enlisted we wouldn't have wars, even though my head recognizes that way too many people aren't given any other opportunities.

But as the recruiting trendline nosedives, I'm seeing a future where more young folks are forced into a harder choice. Enlisting or not enlisting at least has the veneer of free will, even though the "choice" isn't real for too many. The choice of civil disobedience vs. conscription is a much harder choice.


I was lucky enough in my youth to avoid these choices and I count my blessings that my only child is a daughter. I can't imagine in this cultural climate that the fundamentalists would consent to the draft of women. But if I had a son I'd be terrified.




Meanwhile, incredibly, they want to throw out a guy who wants to STAY over there - because he came out of the closet.

No comments: