Monday, September 19, 2005

Bicycling Rant

Bicycling Rant

Pet peeves that need to be vented:

  • People in downtown Iowa City who yell at cyclists like myself "get on the sidewalk." Ususally they are in large SUVs and likely haven't ridden a bicycle since third grade. If they had they would have seen the "No Bicycles On Sidewalk" signs ALL OVER DOWNTOWN. And they certainly have never seen the Bicycle Cop who gives you tickets for riding on the sidewalk or ped mall.

  • On the other hand, the extra wide sidewalk along South Gilbert Street south of Highway 6 is a bike path. And drivers exiting the Hills Bank have a really annoying habit of blocking this path which is a reular part of my noon hour ride, ignoring the WATCH FOR BICYCLISTS signs Hills Bank has put up.

  • Last I'll spew about drivers who motion you to go ahead, like they're doing you a favor - after they've already forced you to stop. You see, the momentum of a cyclist comes not from fossil fuels, it comes from leg muscles, and if I'm already stopped I've already lost my momentum and you, in the car, might as well go ahead.

  • No wait, I got more! Why do grocery stores sell cigarettes and lotto tickets in the EXPRESS line? What, you can't WAIT?
  • No comments: