Thursday, August 24, 2006

Silver Springs - A B Side For The Ages

Silver Springs - A B Side For The Ages

Been a while since I've done a song post. Heard "Silver Springs" by Fleetwood Mac on the radio the other day. Not the cathartic confrontational version that was the highlight of the otherwise pointless live cash-in disc The Dance. No, this was the original, Stevie Nicks' glorious outtake from Rumours that was buried on a b-side and all but forgotten for twenty years. It fits the love gone wrong mood of that album well.

You could be my silver spring
Blue-green colors flashing
I would be your only dream
Your shining over ocean crashing

So I begin not to love you
Turn 'round, see me running
I say I loved you years ago
But tell myself you never loved me

And can you tell me was it worth it
Baby I don't want to know

Time cast a spell on you but you won't forget me
I know I could have loved you but you would not let me

I follow you down 'till the sound of my voice will haunt you
You'll never get away from the sound of the woman who loves you


Stevie says Silver Springs was in fact the DC suburb, and the haunting was not the witch/ghost kind but "you will listen to me on the radio for the rest of your life, and it will bug you. I hope it bugs you."

They bumped it in favor of "I Don't Want To Know" (which, incidentally, opened the cassette version of Rumours, rather than "Second Hand News". I'm really proving my age here...) You have to remember, as they said of Frampton Comes Alive in Waynes World 2, everyone was issued a copy of Rumours back in the 70s.

They put it out on the flip side of "Go Your Own Way" thus literally telling two sides of the story. Where it rested in obscurity till the 1997 cash-in.

No comments: