Saturday, March 31, 2007

Chris Dodd, Iowa City 3/31/2007

Chris Dodd, Iowa City 3/31/2007



Dodd invites us all to spend the night in the White House. Talks about Iowa work on early childhood ed and his own work.

Big applause for pledge to reverse Military Commissions Act. Big applause to "we ough to begin redeploying troops tonight." Protesters yell "impeach Bush now." Dodd says American people want war to end and Congress and Bush must listen.

Dodd talks leadership and experience, 26 years in Senate might be seen as a disadvantage but it's a plus now. Talks about his work on FMLA, wants to make it paid leave. I look up and Dick Durbin is two feet away while I'm all blog blog blog.

Dodd derides Bush's Latin America trip and says how far we've fallen since the Alliance For Progress/Peace Corps era. Our foreign image can be reverse, we can elect people who inspire America and the world. America has not changed, but leadership has. I remember excitement of VISTA and Peace Corps. I'm determined to live up to those ideals. We are tired from the talk, we want things done.

"All I ask of you today: Give me a chance to be heard. I have a strong set of convictions and beliefs. I ask you to give me your consideration."

1 comment:

Comrade O'Brien said...

Hello,
You may be interested in our ongoing Orwellian protest of the Military Commissions Act. Find out more at http://ministryoflove.wordpress.com.
Thanks,
O'Brien