Friday, March 23, 2007

Smallest Farm Gets Early Start

Smallest Farm Gets Early Start

Don't feel like writing about basketball beyond "good riddance" so just the briefest of updates on what I call The Smallest Farm in Iowa, the tiny garden patch out back of my apartment complex.

I may be abandoning Bohemian Paradise when the lease runs out so I planted early, early stuff. Non-gardeners may think it's too damn early, but some stuff does well four to six weeks before last frost. The old superstition was to plant peas on St. Patrick's Day. I was just a few days after that. Some spinach and lettuce is also in the ground and radishes will follow. Everything should be good and dead by mid-August, and if one of the places I have my eyes on work out the 2008 farm will no longer qualify as the smallest.

No comments: