Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nolte: No 2008 Run

Nolte: No 2008 Run In House 89

In an email to supporters last night, 2006 Iowa House candidate Mark Nolte announces he's not running again in `08, citing family time needs - and taking a little shot at the IDP:
It was very disheartening to me to learn that the party leadership is only supportive of candidates who are willing to accept special interest money and who serve to feed the larger machine. I didn’t get into this to be a fund raiser, I got into this to serve my state and spread the message that special interest groups are stealing our democracy. As I think back on all the events, the countless doors knocked and the conversations with so many great Iowans, I know it made a difference. Right now I can be of the most benefit on the outside; helping to spread the message and gain the public support we need to take our government back. I will have my political career and continue fighting for the things I believe in to improve our state and country, but it is going to have to wait a bit.


So Dems seek a candidate in House District 89 (map, .pdf), now open with Sandy Greiner's long overdue retirement. About 70 percent of the district is Washington County, plus a sliver of Jefferson and a chunk of southern/western Johnson including Hills and Lone Tree.

Mark was a great shoe leather candidate, scoring 44% against Greiner on a shoestring budget of about $13,000. That's six points better, on 1/3 as much money, in a more Republican district, than the other challenger in a Johnson County district, Clara Oleson (who reportedly is also not running again). Here's hoping we see more of Mark when the kids are a little older.

No comments: