Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Clinton and Clinton Live at UIowa

Clinton and Clinton Live at UIowa



2:44. Let's call this an afternoon. 42 entered the building about 5 minutes ago; I herd reports that the "Clutch event" (campaign speak for the invite only Key Activist event) was scheduled for post-speech. Crowd dispersed almost immediately after Bill's exit, save for packing-up press. They're grouching about parades: "tomorrow we'll be walking backwards."

2:28 Handshake scrum is three deep with medium jostling levels. 42 and 44 are working opposite sides; even local Loebsack seems to be in a bit of demand though it this to about one deep in his zone. Nuthin' personal, Dave. We get Shania on auto-repeat and the reformed Police: "every little thing she does is magic" indeed. Now we're Shreked with Smashmouth and the TV techies seem to like it as they grouch about assorted tech details.

2:21 Crowd splits into two parts: about half leave, the other half surge to the handshake zone. I catch a brief glimpse of 42 meeting and greeting.

Checking the crowd, it looks like half or better were properly Hillary stickered. Whether that indicates commitment or Iowa good manners, hard to say. We have BTO again.

I look like the only liveblogger here; Nick Johnson was sighted pre-speech. The TV crews rapidly packed up.

2:14 Closing with a Madeline Albright story which I think I heard in April... yes, I did. 48 star flags that American GIs left in Europe, which people saved as family treasures. "I hope to restore that feeling about us around the world." So caucus for me caucus for me. Music starts up again -- it's KT Tunstall again.

2:12. That was the windup -- here's the pitch. "We have such great candidates, you don't have to be against anybody in the primary." I hope to be your choice (scattered cheers.) Makes the pledge card pitch. "We have a chance to make history and elect the first woman president" gets a bigger cheer. "But I'm running because I think I'm the best qualified most experienced person."

2:09. In the next 18 months "persuade prez to begin bringing our troops home from sectarian civil war." It'll be hard to persuade him. Our brave troops got rid of Saddam, allowed free elections (no applause) "There is no military solution to this civil war" gets applause. "We cannot send them money if they don't make decisions that will lead to civility." Need intense diplomacy but "Diplomacy is a dirty word in this administration. I believe in it." Send message that the US will listen and look for common ground (applause). There will be a sigh of relief across the world.

We cannot do it alone: terrorism or warming or AIDS. We need to restore diplomacy and our role in the world and win back respect. "I will make that a high priority."

206: moving on to energy. Strategic energy fund "by taking subsides away from oil" (applause) and putting it to green energy. Uses phrase "green collar jobs."

Education: Universal pre-K (appl.) better than spending on prison.



"In order to get this done we have to reform the gov't." Appoint people qualified to do the job (appl.) Eliminate the no bid contracts, gov't transparency, rule of law... (all these are applause lines)

2:02 I'm proud we tried health care in `94 (appl) but I didn't quit. "Let's at least begin to cover the children" and we covered about 5 million kids. Still leaves 9 million uncovered. "Even before I'm president we can begin to fulfill that responsibility." Also: testing drug effectiveness on kids, such as pediatric AIDS. Got some FDA rules passed. (The drug companies sued, got overturned -- so as soon as I got to the senate we got the law passed."

More health care details: generic drug costs, info tech.

1:56 I want to be a president who sets goals again. "I want to include EVERYBODY again." (applause.) Too many people feel invisible, giving up hope that White House cares. Tells trail tails and says " no American will be invisible to me as President"

Health care is a moral and economic imperative. Trail tails of the uninsured. "If you go into the hospital uninsured, you are twice as likely to die." Even the insured have gaps... "Sorry! Not covered." The theme "I don't know what we've done wrong, we've done everything we're supposed to" pups up in a few contexts. "We have a health care system for sickness, not wellness" (applause) cite diabetes as example. You can't see the podiatrist, but they'll pay to amputate your foot.

1:52. I thought I would be an activist without office, and I did that for 35 years. I grew up and took for granted that my country and family would be on my side. Talks of bio details: dad's background and "middle class Midwestern values." Hard work hard work hard work. Mom's background was tough, "she had to raise herself and work at 13" as a domestic.

1:48. Her turn. Thanks the Sacks Loeb and Vil. Now on to thanking 42 I"I DO believe it takes a village to raise a child" gets applause as she talks on over it.

"I believed we can do anything we set our minds to as Americans." Talk of 60s and JFK and LBJ. PA is resonating off an opposing wall wall wall echo echo echo.

Talks of young activists and the 26th amendment (18 vote). Says Bush-Cheney have reminded us "who we elect makes a real difference." (appl) Are You Ready cadence with cheers: health, energy, college costs, an Alberto Gonzalez dig. "If you're ready for change I'm ready to lead."



1:43 Bill continues: NY firefighter says HRC was the first one who cared about their post-9/11 illness.

"Last thing I want to say." They say my admin was yesterday's news, "but yesterday's news was good news." And Hillary has proven herself . "We've almost got to restart the 21st century. We need someone with new ideas, but who knows how to keep score the old fashioned way. The only thing that makes this worth it: are people better off when you quit than when you started?



1:39. Bill; "I will be brief, you came here to hear her." "Hillary was a public servant without public office. That's sort of what I do now." Shout: "We love ya Bill!" 42: a modest "thank you."

I know about the challenges of the presidency at this time. We have to restore our standing in the world and our challenges at home. Hillary is the best-qualified non-incumbent I've had the chance to vote for in 40+ years as a voter. Talks about her role in his administration. World leaders "Please tell me Hillary's gonna win, we want to love America again."

Now moving on to her Senate record. Bush carried 40 of 64 NY counties, but Hillary carried most of those: "She's the only person who ever did anything for rural NY," say upstaters.

1:35 and they make it to stage on cue. Loebsack is introing Bill. He pledges to make it short and jokes about that. Dave again emphasizes caucus importance. "A lot of us look at the 90s as a wonderful period."

Close call on who gets bigger applause: HRC or WJC. 44 went on stage first.



SHOWTIME and they actually play the Celine Dion so I lose a bet. The UDems chair announced 42, 44 and Loebsack. 42 is briefly sighted about 20 yards from stage, I sure hope it doesn't take so long that they have to cue up Celine again...

1:27 I meet Mark Daley of the Team Clinton (44) press staff. He reports an impromptu ice cream stop in Grinnell. Clinton Standard Time. Music is Shania Twain and "Rock This Country," one of the song contest also-rans. Sun ducks in and out of clouds affecting laptop visibility. I'm perched on a pillar behind the TV platform, hopping off for photo breaks.

1:21. A brief live Hawkeye fight song, now we're back to the recorded music. It's KT Tunstall -- still no Celine. Now BTO and "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet." The speech impediment lobby isn't here to object. One of these days I need to burn a generic campaign song CD.



1:14. My 100-yards-away prediction is off. 30 yards, maybe. Now we get Christy Vilsack. CV says "I've been waiting 40 years for a woman president" but then says it's not just that, it's the experience factor (but then why lead with gender?) A closing reference to Ann Richards gets applause.



1:12. Next up on the intros: Iowa City's legislators Mary Mascher and Vicki Lensing, both on board with Hillary. Lensing has been public for a while; I think this may be Mascher's official public debut. The usual "we Iowans take our responsibility seriously," volunteer, and sign the pledge card type of stuff.

1:06 and people are lined up on the footbridge near the Laser Center (that's not its official name but that's what we Iowa Citians call it). The UDems are giving a lengthy introduction -- stalling? Overhearing a TV reporter: phrases like "brings baggage" and "Monica Lewinsky".

Straight up 1:00 and the famous campus Yabba Dabba Doo whistle blows during the national anthem, as sung by a Hawkeye football player whose name I messed. Could we possibly be on time?

12:48 and after seven pages of instructions I've finally connected to University of Iowa wifi. They make security especially difficult on campus; they don't want anyone using wifi here except faculty, staff and students. I'm a mere Iowa taxpayer.

The line to get into the event is backed up about 50 people but that's mostly due to getting names on cards rather than Secret Service stuff.

Questions of the day:

How many people here are curiosity seekers vs. Hillary backers?

How late will things be running?

Will we hear Celine Dion?

Right now we're not; it's Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down," which appears to be on the short list of approved campaign songs.

National press presence is massive, massive, massive; at least a dozen cameras. Don't see any other bloggers yet.

No comments: