Thursday, March 13, 2008

Butter

Goodbye To A Friend


Butterscotch July 11, 1997 - March 13, 2008

I had to say goodbye to a friend rather suddenly today. Tuesday night Butter hopped up on the couch by me to snuggle up next to his favorite spot, the hot air vent of the laptop, perky as always, in my way, and doing that ridiculous curled up tail thing he always did.

This morning he was sluggish , and by lunch he was hardly moving. When we got back to the vet he was crying and yowling. I had to decide, and I held him through it all.

Now he's with his old friends Gizmo the First and Gray Baby and Kitten and Zoe, and the Furry Four are down to three, and while my writing may be physically easier, it'll be less fun without Butter to work around.

It's odd that this loss of a small life comes just as a new life has come into my world. Often, I wish I could talk, in real words, to my cats and know that they understood. Butter got me through some of the darkest hours of my life, and I think on some level, he knew. Thank you, my furry friend.

1 comment:

King of SNARK said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. It made me give and extra hug to my dog and cat. take care