Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Barth May Run In 2nd Congressional District

Greens May Run In 2nd CD

Wendy Barth, the 2006 Green Party candidate for governor, is considering a run for the 2nd Congressional District seat now held by Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Mt. Vernon.

Barth would be the fourth announced candidate, joining Loebsack, Republican Mariannette Miller-Meeks, and independent Brian White.


Barth (left) with Green Party presidential nominee Cynthia McKinney (center) in December.

"My record as a peace activist speaks for itself," Barth told Iowa Independent. "Bring the troops home, redirect the military budget to social programs that can provide real security, and encourage Israel to establish more respectful relations with their neighbors so they won't feel like they need so many weapons from us."

Barth declined to criticize Loebsack or the other candidates. "My opponents are all fine well-meaning people, courageously putting themselves into the spotlight," she said. "If we can use the media as a forum to explain our positions on the issues, the voters will be able to make an educated choice."

Barth's supporters are planning a Saturday meeting in Iowa City to make further plans.

The Barth candidacy represents a change in strategy for the Greens. "There were a couple mentions of running someone for Congress," Green Party secretary Holly Hart told Iowa Independent in late June, "but then Loebsack started voting against the military budgets."

"I had been toying with this idea for a while, but thought I should pragmatically spend a few more months saving my paychecks before I go out on the campaign trail again," Barth explained. "However, several people expressed to me the need to have a wider selection of candidates for the US House seat this fall, and it was pretty easy to get me to agree to be their candidate."

"I intend to run an issue-oriented campaign focusing on sustainability and the environment," said Barth. "We need to careful not to invest our precious last drops (of oil) in wasteful boondoggles. With my long-standing interest in the environment and alternative energy, I believe I have something meaningful to contribute to this very important issue, and if elected, the voters can be assured that I intend to act on these principles."

Barth needs 300 signatures by August 15 to qualify for the ballot.

No comments: