Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday clips

The blogger is a slacker

I think I exceeded my word quota for the week in that Pink Floyd thing. Anyway I've decided to spend the weekend housecleaning instead of writing, and with the tree down the holidays are now officially over.

  • If the Pink Floyd wasn't enough music, check out this guy who ranked all the Beatles' songs, number 185 to number one. Been reading this all week and I'm not done yet, haven't even peeked ahead to get a number one spoiler. My one quibble is thay the guy only ranked the original compositions, leaving out the cover versions that they made their own like "Twist and Shout."

    I'm a sucker for the countdown format. Sundays were always Casey Kasem American Top 40 day for me growing up, and every time I see anything in a countdown I'm glued till I fing out what's number one.

  • The Iowa Republicans elected Barnstormers owner Matt Strawn to lead them out of the wilderness. The journey will be long.

  • Tomorrow on Linux Monday I'll look at the Third World. As for today, Ubuntu hits the mainstream with a big piece in the New York Times. "(Shuttleworth) says Canonical is not just a do-gooder project by someone with the time, money and inclination to tackle Microsoft head-on. His vision is to make Ubuntu the standard for the next couple of billion people who acquire PCs."

  • The Republicans may be disappointed by Al Franken's win, but they get something out of it: a new boogieman.
    "(Coleman's) likely defeat stands to turn Franken, the polarizing former 'Saturday Night Live' writer, into the senator who launched a thousand direct mail fundraising appeals.

    'I don’t know if we’ve ever had an opponent who is so disliked by Republicans as Al Franken,'”

  • Franken's old show, meanwhile, parodied Rachel Maddow for the first time last night, officially placing her in the Big Leagues.
  • No comments: