Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jaunty Upgrade Liveblog

Jaunty Upgrade Liveblog

Jaunty Jackalope Thurday here in Ubuntu world as the new version 9.04 is ready.

If you've been using Ubuntu you can set yourself up for automatic notice of new versions. From the menu it's System > Administration > Software Sources. Click the Updates tab, and at the bottom of that menu there's a dropdown box for Release Upgrades. You can choose between Never (to stay with an old version forever), Long Term Support Releases only (that's currently 8.04; the next update 9.10 is scheduled to be an LTS), and Regular Releases, which today's Jaunty is.

Having done that, the release upgrade is pushed to my Update Manager. It's 10:07 and I've had a red arrow on my toolbar since this morning indicating a significant update.

New Distribution Release '9.04' is available and an Upgrade button. Let's hit it at 10:15 (blogging will slow my upgrade down, but I'm doing it for you.).

Not at 10:16 we see:

= Welcome to Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' =

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope'.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast
and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent
applications installed by default, and almost any other software you
can imagine available through the network.


Some more minor legalese and two buttons: Cancel and Upgrade. CLICK

Now we see
Downloading the upgrade tool
The upgrade tool will guide you through the upgrade process.
Downloading file 1 of 2

A Cancel button is offered. 10:19.

OOPS:
Failed to extract
Extracting the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server.

Not unheard of on release day: the servers and mirrors get really busy. There's ways to get there but I want to keep this easy. I'll go back to the top to try again. I remember the old days of war-dialing the ISCABBS for an hour at a time to try to connect. This shouldn't be that bad.

The machine is a Dell, 2 GHz Celeron, 512 Mb of RAM. 40 gig hard drive. It's my main backup machine; the good laptop is in the shop with a blown video card.

10:35 and now things are moving. I have a small window with each of the following highlighting in turn:

Preparing to upgrade
Setting new software channels
Getting new packages
Installing the upgrades
Cleaning up
Restarting the computer

Notice how I'm happily blogging away while all this is happening.

There's a progress bar below this list; at 10:42 we get another window. Tells us we have 14 packages to remove, 206 to install, and 1086 to upgrade. 901 meg of download, or 1 hour 43 minutes at my speed. This is my last chance... go for it. CLICK Start Upgrade.

I'm now fetching file 1 of 1292. But I really don't have to DO anything, except tell you about it. Sit back and surf, let Ubuntu do the rest.

11:26 -- That went well for a while but then it stalled out; says I kept what's downloaded so far. A few clicks later I'm back in business and apparently competing for bandwidth with every other Linux geek on the planet. Note to self: next time, wait a couple days...

11:42 and we have indeed picked up where we left off. Download speed varying a lot. I'm not staying up all night on this; I tend to wake up in the middle of the night so I'll check when I do.

No comments: