Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ghost of Nixon Offends

Nixon Offensive from Beyond The Grave

The Nixon tapes are a gift that keeps on giving, even after nearly four decades. Consider this gem released yesterday and uttered Jan. 23, 1973, the day Roe V. Wade came down:
“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white. Or a rape.”

Where do I start? We have the implication of forced eugenics in the word "necessary." The rank order argues that he considered mixed race relationships worse. than. rape., indicating that his Strom Thurmond-George Wallace Southern Strategy was more than mere cynical rhetoric; he really meant it.

The new batch of tapes re-reveal multiple levels of Nixon prejudices, but this one hit me closest to home, because of my own dear grandson. One wonders what our 44th president would say.

I really can't do this quote justice. We need the ghost of Hunter Thompson.

No comments: