Monday, January 24, 2011

Super Bowl, Baby!

Super Bowl, Baby!

Spent my weekend focused on non-political stories.



Great pick and dance, Raji; you're just really lucky you didn't lose the ball holding it at arm's length.

Ao the first Super Bowl for my beloved Pack since the 1997 season, and Vegas has us as an early 2 1/2 point favorite.

Us. As in "including me." Like I have anything to do with it. The whole vicarious sports fan thing is funny. The success or failure of a group of highly paid hired gun pro athletes has little or nothing to do with my preference on the outcome. Yet I still say "we" won. The link is imaginary but the feelings are real; I can still say January 26, 1997 was one of the happiest days of my life.

The advertising folks were probably hoping for a New York vs. Chicago matchup, and are cringing at a game between two of pro-sports smallest markets. But the true fans appreciate the first-ever post-season matchup between two of the NFL's most storied franchises. (Folks forget that, before the Steelers moved from the pre-merger NFL to the AFC, they were the perennial doormat of the league.)

Downside: Fox has the game and Terry Bradshaw will no doubt be insufferable for all 56 hours of the pre-game show.

Since I'm on a map kick, here's another oldie but goodie: the Common Census Project's map of pro football loyalties.



There seems to be a slight Bear plurality in eastern Iowa, but it's really blotchy, and notice how closely that Packer-Bear line sticks to the Wisconsin-Illinois border. The little green patches in southern Mississippi have dried up to almost nothing, as the area reverts to its historic Saints loyalty.

No comments: