Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sodders: I will not run for Congress in 2014

After a recent trip to DC to check the landscape, and a public consideration of a candidacy, State Senator Steve Sodders announced this AM that he is NOT running for Congress.
For Immediate release: 31 March 2013

For More Information: Steve Sodders (614) 751-4140

*Sodders: I will not run for Congress in 2014*

*State Senator Steve Sodders of State Center today announced that he will not be running for the U.S. Congress in 2014: *

*Sodders released this statement to supporters and the news media: *

“I want to thank all my family members, neighbors, friends and other Iowans who have reached out to me with their encouragement to enter the race for Iowa’s open U.S. House seat in District 1.

“Despite this encouragement and the appeal of serving more Iowans in the U.S. Congress, my family and I have decided that I will not run for the U.S. House in 2014.

“I love being a citizen-legislator in Iowa, working as a Deputy Sheriff in Marshall County, and serving as a State Senator to my constituents in Marshall, Tama and Black Hawk counties. I have also been entrusted by my Senate colleagues to serve in the leadership position of Senate President Pro Tempore.

“I am proud of our bipartisan efforts in the Iowa Legislature to grow Iowa’s middle class by improving the quality of our schools, by expanding access to affordable health care for all Iowans, and by increasing job opportunities in every county in our state. I am more motivated than ever to ensure that the dream of a larger middle class in Iowa becomes a
reality.

“I ask for your continued support as we work together for this great state.”
This leaves former House speaker Pat Murphy of Dubuque as the only announced  Democrat in the seat Bruce Braley is leaving for a US Senate race.

There's a lot of pressure from others and me to look for a strong female candidate in this race. All eyes are on Senator Liz Mathis...


No comments: