Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Polk's Fitzgerald Out for Secretary of State

Via Facebook, Polk County Auditor Jamie Fitzgerald announces he's NOT running for Secretary of State:
Today, I am formally announcing my decision to not run for Iowa Secretary of State in 2014.

My decision comes after countless discussions with my family, friends, colleagues and other supporters. Timing was one of the biggest factors to my decision. My wife and I will have all four of our children in high school this year, including two seniors! Our children (like most) are involved in many activities - both academic and athletic - and like all parents, I want to be as involved as much as possible including attending all of their events.

I am deeply humbled by the many phone calls, texts and emails encouraging me to pursue the office over the past few months.

It is an honor and privilege to lead a great staff in the Auditor’s office and to serve all voters of Polk County. I love my job as Auditor and look forward to continuing to work hard for our taxpayers.
Brad Anderson remains the only announced Democrat, and has strong support from party leaders.

Fitzgerald stepped up to auditor in 2007 by appointment when his predecessor Mike Mauro was sworn in as Secretary of State. Fitzgerald has won two terms in his own right since.

Mauro, who lost to Matt Schultz in 2010, has not ruled out trying to get his prior job back but is reported leaning against.

No comments: