Saturday, February 22, 2014

King Re-doubles Down, Both Parties Push Back

It must be nice to be soooo wrong yet so sure of yourself: Given the chance to apologize by the Spencer Reporter, Steve King declined to retract last summer's comments about about the immigrants brought to the United States illegally by their parents, the “DREAMers.”

Refesher: “For everyone who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds — and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert.” 

This week's followup: “I’m not going to apologize. What I’ve said is objectively true, and any time that Republicans have criticized me, it’s not because of what I said, it’s because they disagree with my agenda.,”

In related news, Speaker John Boehner is also not apologizing for calling Steve King an asshole. I don't generally agree with Boehner but he is smart enough to know that truth is a defense against libel.

King's Democratic opponent, Jim Mowrer, was quick to reply:  "Steve King won’t back down from his comments and we need to let him know that we won’t back away from continuing to hold him accountable. Click here and condemn Steve King’s words." Capitalizing? Sure, but remember, Mowrer has outraised King the last two quarters.

Also weighing in and raising cash, Anesa Kajtazovic: "As an immigrant and an Iowan, I know that we can do better. My parents brought my sister and me to this country for better opportunities, and King’s ignorant statements don’t represent true Iowa values. Stand up against Steve King’s offensive rhetoric – sign on and tell him it’s time to apologize!"

Kajtazovic and the other 1st CD candidates (all the Democrats and some of the Republicans) held a forum last week outside the district in Desmoines, presumably to accommodate the three legislators The Iowa Republican's coverage drew criticism from fellow Republican Brent Oleson, a Linn County supervisor.

Kevin Hall wrote: "Swati Dandekar is obviously an intelligent and accomplished woman. However, she speaks in broken English and I don’t think that translates very well to a wide electorate."

Oleson via Facebook called that critique "the absolute dumbest, out-of-touch, superficial, insensitive and untrue (she's won Iowa House and Senate races) reason I have ever heard for judging her message, how its conveyed, or whether it appeals to voters."

I could care less about Swati's accent. It's the content of what she says and the record of what she's done that bothers me: waffling and caving on key social issues, quitting mid-term and risking Senate control to take a job from Terry Branstad. THAT speaks louder than words.

No comments: