We have the first Officially contested primary as GOP Senate candidate Sam Clovis qualifies for the ballot. Scott Schaben filed on Day One, but Clovis has a stronger shot at finishing in the hunt.
(Question: Other than a Fibbin' Fisherman situation where qualification for the ballot is in question, does anyone actually care about the number of signatures on a petition as a bragging point? If they're GOOD signatures, they may be the core of a list, but in my experience nomination signatures are about one notch better than random names from what we used to call a "phone book".)
Also filing today is Mariannette Miller-Meeks of Ottumwa, making her third bid for congress. She won contested Republican primaies in 2008 and 2010, then sat out 2012. She's a heavy favorite to beat Mark Lofgren in June and get a re-rematch with Dave Loebsack.
Mary Mosiman, the appointed state auditor, makes her first statewide run official. Mosiman won three terms as Story County auditor on the Republican ticket before leaving for the Matt Schultz administration.
We also have our first officially contested general election races, as three Democratic incumbents file.
- Frank Wood has a rematch in House 92 with Republican Ross Paustian. Wood got knocked out of the Senate in 2008 then came back to beat one-term rep Paustian in 2012.
- Bruce Bearinger is looking for a second term in House 64. He won over weak opposition in 2012 but Republican Craig Johnson looks more serious this time.
- And Curt Hanson of Fairfield is seeking a third full term in House 82. Liberty Republican Jeff Shipley filed last week.
- My own rep, Mary Mascher, in House 86
- Beth Wessel-Kroeschell of Ames, House 45
- Davenport's Jim Lykam in House 89
- Patti Ruff of McGregor in House 56
- And Todd Prichard, going into his first general election cycle in House 52. Prichard was a special election winner when Brian Quirk quit immediately after getting re-elected in 2012.
The nemesis of medical marijuana, Clel Baudler, filed again in House 20. Reports are that GOP state central committee member and Paul supporter Joel Kurtinitis may challenge in the primary.
More House Republican incumbents:
- Chuck Soderberg in District 5,
- Sandy Salmon in District 72
- Guy Vander Linden in District 79
- Ron Jorgenson, House 6 (he had a serious primary from Matthew Ung in 2012)
- Matt Windschitl, House 17
- Greg Forristall, House 22
- and Dave Deyoe House 49.