Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Bush wants Lieberman for Cabinet (Deeth wants Lieberman out of Senate)

Bush wants Lieberman for Cabinet
(Deeth wants Lieberman out of Senate)


Have I been such a good boy this year that Santa is gonna gimme something I want for Christmas?

President (sic/elect) Bush is courting Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, D (sic) -Conn., a former Democratic vice presidential candidate, for a Cabinet post, presumably sec-retary of homeland security.

Lieberman couldn’t be reached for comment Sunday, but an aide said that if Lie-berman were asked to accept a nomination, it would most likely be the homeland security post.

The Washington Post, citing two anonymous sources, reported Sunday that Bush wants Lieberman for a Cabinet position...


So the interim Republican governor would appoint an interim Republican Senator. I'd rather have a Republican who admits it that a fraud like Joe-mentum who doesn't.

Meanwhile Pandagon is having a argument that Joe and his pal Tipper might love. What is a progressive to do when faced with a sexist and violent video game, to wit, Grand Theft Auto?

Being uncompromising on free speech is a lot like opposing the death penalty. It's easy to let the opponents back you into the corner of defending the content or actions, thus removing the principle from the discussion. Even so, I'm not comfortable with the whole "Sister Souljah Moment" thing of attacking the content someone else's free speech. Maybe it's all that debate and persuasion I grew up on, but I always felt like the best way to beat an argument is to out-argue it, not to supress it.

I'm a slippery slope guy on this issue. If I let them take away Junior's smash-em-up game, they'll be prying my Clash CDs from my cold dead fingers next. Not to sound like the NRA or anything. But I can almost comprehend why someone would be as passionate about their misinterpretation of the Second Amendment as I am about the reality and intent of my First. That doen't make them right, it just means I understand the strength of their emotions.

I've found that my free speech absolutism has not been compromised by fatherhood. I still make a great effort - more self-conscious than many, I guess - to pay attention to my daughter's media messages. And I learned, while I still lived with her, that she has a good innate sense of what she is and is not comfortable with.

So no, I don't think we need politicos bashing video games, or movies, or Britney Spears (unless they want to note that she can't sing). My teenager and I can make those decisions ourselves.

No comments: