Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Backers of Gay Marriage Ban Use Social Security as Cudgel

Backers of Gay Marriage Ban Use Social Security as Cudgel

I suppose this falls under good news/bad news:

"In a confidential letter to Karl Rove, Mr. Bush's top political adviser, the group said it was disappointed with the White House's decision to put Social Security and other economic issues ahead of its paramount interest: opposition to same-sex marriage."

"When the administration adopts a defeatist attitude on an issue that is at the top of our agenda, it becomes impossible for us to unite our movement on an issue such as Social Security privatization where there are already deep misgivings."


First of all it's not real damn confidential if I'm hearing about it and since it's obviously for public consumption. Cracks in the Republican coalition are always welcome to me, and at some point the fundamentalists are going to push so hard that they'll push the self-centered, cut my taxes and leave me alone Republicans away. And I'd be happy to signs of more opposaition to Bush's Social Security gutting - IF I thought they really meant it and were really prepared to act.

But the sad reality is that the Dark Ages wing of the GOP simply doesn't care about the Social Security proposal, they're just petulant that it's clearly Bush's top domestic priority. It's really, really scary, but they actually care more about hating faggots than they do about anything else. Maybe I've been in Iowa City too long but it's hard for me to even imagine that.

Jesus Christ spend a lot of His time with us hanging out with people who were considered the scum of the scum. Who are the lepers of our century? And who are the hypocritical moneychangers He'd throw out of the temple?

No comments: