Monday, January 24, 2005

My readers are disappointed

My readers are disappointed

The last few weeks I've been doing a couple extra things - some basic pinging, the Technorati tags - that seem to be boosting my walk-in traffic.

But when I look at the search terms people are hitting me with, I suspect my readers are disappointed.

Nine months ago, in one of my best pieces of writing, I slapped a gratuitous link to a picture of Laura Prepon from "That 70's Show." It almost kinda sorta fit the piece since I was writing about my experiences in high school, in the very time and place in which the program is set. And if I wanted to really stretch, I could claim the tomboyish beauty of Prepon's character reminded me of the girl I was writing about. But of course the reality is that was a flimsy excuse to put a picture of an attractive woman in my post.

Just for the record, this blog is NOT the net's hot spot for pictures of actresses who are way too young for me to be noticing. Besides, now that she's gone from redhead to blonde I could care less.

My point is: I'm getting close to a third of my site traffic in searches for that one picture! And of course this post includes another Laura Prepon reference which means even more traffic from the misled Googling picture hunters. How's that for an effective window into how people use the internet.

Maybe some of them bothered to actually read the piece.

No comments: