Monday, September 12, 2005

What's sleepin' in our soul

What's sleepin' in our soul

I've been on an Oasis kick for about the last three days which is strange. They came along a little after my time, just after Cobain, just after I lost day to day touch with popular music and popular culture. But I do recall the radio omnipresence of "Wonderwall" and especially "Champagne Supernova" (references to "getting high" still got that huh huh, huh reaction in the mid-90s) and the storuies of the brawling Gallagher brothers. They may have been one of the last bands that made guitar-BASED songs - music centered around the guitar as the fundamental instrument, rather than a solo plopped in on top of a beat.

In any case I'm only now tuning in enough to bother with the b-sides and stuff, and I've just stumbled onto the brilliant "Acquiesce". The rap always was that Oasis had nonsensical lyrics, which Noel Gallagher freely admitted. But this time he actually SAID something:

I don't know what it is
That makes me feel alive
I don't know how to wake
The things that sleep inside
I only wanna see the light
That shines behind your eyes

I hope that I can say
The things I wish I'd said
To sing my soul to sleep
And take me back to bed
You want to be alone
When we could be alive instead

Because we need each other
We believe in one another
And I know we're going to uncover
What's sleepin' in our soul


Who the hell knows what it's about - could be about the brothers, could be a romantic fantasy. Could mean whatever you want about whoever you want. But it sounds really great with all the loud guitars...

No comments: