If you're missing the president's stop in Des Moines today, plenty of other events in the near future:
- House 73 candidate Dick Schwab is hosting an event Sunday 2-4 at the Timber Dome Lodge in the Solon Nature and Recreation Center. 25 bucks would be nice. Guests include several of the Democratic legislators who have represented greater metro Solon the past couple decades: John Patchett, Rich Varn, David Osterberg, Ro Foege and Nate Willems. Bob Dvorsky will be on his way to Charlotte as one of Johnson County's four Democratic national delegates. Spouse Sue, of course, is a superdelegate as state chair, as is Congresman Loebsack; Bob and Dennis Roseman were elected at the 2nd District convention.
- The who's who of local politics and labor will be at the annual Iowa City Federation of Labor picnic, starting at noon Monday at LOWER City Park (the last few years have been upper). Burgers, brats and beverages provided; bring a side dish. You'll get speeches, music and solidarity.
- The Republicans are doing stuff too. The Herman Cain train stops by the Ped Mall at 6 PM Wednesday. I missed Cain at caucus time so I may just have to see that.
- It's Democratic Convention Week, and the Dems are having a speech watch party Thursday night at a venue to be determined.
- And just a little further down the road is the Harkin Steak Fry on Sunday, September 16th from 1:00-4:00 in Indianola. 2016 alert: the speaker is Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.