Thursday, August 18, 2005

Gaza Disengagement and 1947 UN Partition Plan

Gaza Disengagement and 1947 UN Partition Plan



Haven't said much this week re: Israel's pullout, disengagement, whatever from Gaza. It's a good, albiet small, first step.

As I may have said before, I don't like the idea of a special country for anyone's religion. I also like the idea of people being able to freely travel and live wherever in the world they want. In keeping with those two principles, my preferred solution for Palestine-Israel would be a unitary, multicultural state.

I also realize that next to no one who lives there wants that.

So let's look back to the original UN plan from 1947 as mapped above. As you see, the proposed Palestine was MUCH larger than the post-1967 West Bank plus Gaza. Jerusalem is trickier. I'd think residents could hold one passport or the other and both governments could meet there.

In any case Gaza as we know it is maybe a tenth of the land promised in 1947, so Israel has a long way to go.

No comments: