Thursday, July 01, 2004

Now & Zen

Now & Zen



"While the blending of power/pop extremes was nothing the Velvet Underground, or even the Beatles, hadn't done years earlier, the Hüskers pulled it off in a way that transcended gimmickry, and did so on such terrain –- the American hardcore punk scene –- where nobody saw it coming or even believed it possible."

Something I learned today
Black and white is always grey
Looking through the window pane
I'm not inside your brain
Something I learned today
Yield to the right-of-way
Stopping at a 4-way sign
Someone else's rules, not mine

Something I learned today
Never look straight in the sun's rays
Letting all the sunshine in
Can't remember where I've been


So much for me updating my musical references. Then again, this still works after 20 years... Onion had a good bit a couple years ago about a guy looking at the "you must be born before 1984 to buy cigarettes" sign and remembering Zen Arcade: "He then ran his hand through his thinning hair."

(You gotta do the Salon watch-the-ad-thing to read it all. Worth it.)

No comments: