Tuesday, August 31, 2004

New Keyes Strategy: Campaign in New York!

New Keyes Strategy: Campaign in New York!

I should stop kicking Mosh Pit Al while he's down but it's just too fun. A guy from Maryland running for Senate in Illinois campaigning in New York.

And apparantly he has some problems with his base:

"State party chairwoman Judy Baar Topinka, who is also a delegate, says she supports Keyes. But she won't say if she will vote for him. Another Illinois Republican, House Speaker Dennis Hastert, has offered only a lukewarm endorsement. Delegate-at-large and former Gov. James Thompson said this week that he cannot support Keyes."

Left the TV off tonight but I see AHnold broke out the Girlie Man line again. I assume the crowd was sufficiently pumped (clap)up.

The more I think about it the less I think conventions matter. The last one with any real doubt was the `76 Republicans, and the last one with any real drama was the `80 Republicans and the botched Reagan-Ford Dream Ticket deal. Now, as an Iowan, I'm spoiled and thus not a fan of national primaries. But the old-fashioned convention has been mostly meaningless for several cycles and seems like a big waste of resources and energy.

I've even skipped our state conventions the last couple cycles. The platform process has been watered down to meaninglessness. And the last one I went to, in 1996, lasted till 3:45 a.m. with the only significant issue being "I want to be a national delegate!" "No, I want to be a national delegate!" Two minutes of voting, two hours of sitting. That was the year I was running. Should have stayed home and doorknocked.

No comments: