Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Welcome to the 1972 campaign

Records Say Bush Balked at Order

Documents obtained by the CBS News program "60 Minutes" shed new light on one of the most controversial episodes in Bush's military service, when he abruptly stopped flying and moved from Texas to Alabama to work on a political campaign...

Remember about two weeks ago when I said I was getting 'Nammed out?

DIdn't people know this stuff about Bush the first time they elected -- oh, wait. Never mind.

It's not just the press or pseudo-rogue outfits (as if anyone believes any of this is truly "independent" of the campaigns). Today's big quote from Terry McAuliffe: "We know that John Kerry was in Vietnam. My question, Mr. President (sic) , is where were you, Sir?"

First of all, no self-respecting Democrat should EVER call Bush "Mr. President". Second of all, I barely remember the end of Vietnam, I'm 40, and I was a boring precocius little nerd who read newspapers. How many under-40 voters are bored to death? If I had known we were going to have the 1972 campaign all over again, I would have caucused for McGovern! And I doubt anyone is gonna write a book about this one as good as Hunter Thompson's was...

Anyway, Zogby is now saying the W by 11 poll is crap and it's really Bush by 2. Another poll has Bush by 0.9 with a massive 4 percent undecided (see my rant of a couple days back).

A couple more notes in my news potpurri: One headline that ran away from me in another window while I wasn't looking says the rest of the world favors Kerry in a landslide. Which would help if they had any electoral votes.

And another too-good-to-skip Mosh Pit Al moment:

"On Tuesday Keyes did it again, this time by essentially announcing that Jesus would be supporting him (if Jesus, of course, was an Illinois voter). "Christ would not vote for Barack Obama because Barack Obama has voted to behave in a way that it is inconceivable for Christ to have behaved," declared Keyes..."

So. Please. Both sides. Enough 'Nam.

No comments: