Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Oh, like I have any time to blog

Oh, like I have any time to blog

Sorry, dear readers, for the relative lack of original content. It's too bad that at the very time I should have lots of interesting things to say, I can barely string two sentences together.

Presidential season is the Super Bowl of my ball game. And like the Super Bowl, it's the one ball game everyone tunes in for, whether they have a clue about football or not. That sounds sort of elitist, I suppose. But my thoughts on the minor arcana of local-style politics are probably less important to a Super Bowl audience ("When they move the yellow stripe it's called a first down and... HEY! What the hell happened to Janet Jackson's top?!?")

John Edwards is in town Thursday - I'm working. To extend the sports analogy, I feel like I'm AT the game - but I have the beer concession for the Cleveland Browns' Dawg Pound, and Drew Carey just ordered a round for the whole end zone. I'm so busy passing out brewskis I can't watch the game or even check the scoreboard...

My analysis of this election stays stuck on a few key points: High new registrations among young voters leading to unusually high turnout among a group that has a Bush = Draft perception. The undecideds breaking against Bush. The collapse of Nader into insignificance. The debates making Kerry seem like a plausible President.

All this looks good for Kerry. But I still think Howard Dean would be ten points ahead...




From the Too Old To Be Cool Department:

The Happy Days theory holds that the nostalgia curve always runs about 20 years back - roughly one generation. This means it has now caught up with me: My daughter just introduced me to "1985" by Bowling For Soup.

I do get SOME cool points for laughing at the song and myself, and for being smart enough to know how to download it.

No comments: