Sunday, January 30, 2005

Maybe I’m just 2 demanding

Maybe I’m just 2 demanding




For the record, Prince was NOT the first act to use the phrase "purple rain" in a lyric. Pull out that scratchy copy of History: America's Greatest Hits, dust off the turntable, and listen to the words of "Ventura Highway."

I became a Prince fan early on, going to college close to the cultural orbit of Minneapolis. My taste was still considered a little odd by my dorm neighbors when I was 18, 19 - I heard a few comments regarding the sexuality and/or race of The Artist before fining my 1999 tape unstrung in the bathroom. After which, of course, I defiantly cemented my appreciation.

Purple Rain hit me very deeply and personally. This STILL means a hell of a lot more to me than President Al Gore ever would have:

Dig if u will the picture
Of u and I engaged in a kiss
The sweat of your body covers me
Can u my darling
Can u picture this?

Dream if u can a courtyard
An ocean of violets in bloom
Animals strike curious poses
They feel the heat
The heat between me and u

How can u just leave me standing?
Alone in a world that’s so cold?
Maybe I’m just 2 demanding
Maybe I’m just like my father 2 bold
Maybe you’re just like my mother
She’s never satisfied
Why do we scream at each other
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry


Sure, "Darling Nikki" was a landmark of raunch, despite not containing a single one of Carlin's Seven Dirty Words. But the irony is that the "Satanic backmasked" outro is a prayer, and Tipper could sing "I Would Die 4 U" in church. What's THIS about:

You’re just a sinner I am told
Be your fire when you’re cold
Make u happy when you’re sad
Make u good when u are bad

I’m not a human I am a dove
I’m your conscious I am love
All I really need is 2 know that U believe


And I still get that chill right at the pause in the guitar solo at the end of "Let's Go Crazy," strong enough to carry me through the one weak spot on the album. Maybe Appolonia was sleeping with you, Prince, but that didn't make her able to sing. Come to think of it, that acoustic guitar strumming in the background of "Take Me With U" drives the song on all cylinders like a purple motorcycle.

Even the B-sides that he tossed off the album - "17 Days" and "Erotic City" - were classics that would have made the career of lesser mortals. And I still don't believe they actually snuck "Erotic City" onto the RADIO a few times - I heard it! - with that flimsy excuse of claiming the lyric was "we can funk until the dawn." Just like the kid who thinks he's being subtle and flips the bird in the yearbook.

Ventura Highway... Jesse Ventura... Minnesota... back to Prince... Sorry. Free associating myself in circles.




So does all this make me a bad Democrat? To expect the art I love to be respected?

Maybe I'm just 2 demanding.

|

No comments: