Sunday, March 27, 2005

Smallest Farm in Iowa: Week 2

Smallest Farm in Iowa: Week 2

An unbelievably beautiful sunny Easter Sunday in Eastern Iowa. The smallest farm is still mostly quiet, but the pea seeds have begun to sprout out of their yogurt cups.

Speaking of yogurt, Mister Back To The Land here has started home-growing yogurt again. I picked up a large-size Salton yogurt maker at a sale a couple weeks back. Yogurt makers are about a dime a dozen at used stores; I think during the Seventies craze of special cooking mini-appliances that did only One Thing (hot doggers, burger makers, fondue pots etc.) millions of folks got a yogurt maker, used it once, and broke the thermometer. The used ones NEVER have the thermometer. Then, after a twenty year cool off period in the basement, it went to Goodwill along with the Stir Crazy popcorn popper that was last used the day before microwave popcorn was invented. Anyway, most of the yogurt makers have one cup cups but this one has 1 1/2 cup cups.

I grew yogurt back in my latter day hippie grad-school days when I had long hair (when I had hair, period) but then gave up on it. Now that I'm living in the Bohemian Paradise of the student ghetto again, it seems the thing to do. I better be careful or I'll break out the sprout-grower again.

You don't need a yogurt maker to be a yogurt maker, but it's easier. Here's how.

No comments: