Friday, June 10, 2005

David Loebsack update

David Loebsack update

Hi, everyone.

I hope is well. I just want to update you on my "testing of the waters."

Since I last wrote, I have attended several Democratic events and spoken with scores more Democrats and others about the future of the district and the future of the country.

As recent polls indicate, Americans are less pleased with George Bush and his Republican counterparts than at virtually anytime since 2001. It is becoming all to clear to the average American that Bush and his right-wing allies are not what America needs now or in the future.

As you might imagine, the Democrats I have met are overwhelming ready for change. Democrats in the 2nd district of Iowa know a Republican majority in the U.S. House of Representatives serves only the interests of the special interests aligned with Bush and his allies in congress. So long as our incumbent congressman has an R behind his name, his presence only serves to maintain that leadership's power, a power to set the agenda and determine the outcomes of the House of Representatives.

It is clear that what we need is someone who will address in a serious and consistent manner the issues of most concern to the vast majority of citizens in the 2nd district. Those issues include health care, jobs, education, and Social Security, among others. With the exception of Social Security, we are not even seeing a debate on the possible solutions to the inadequacies of our current approaches to these matters.

In the coming days, I will be attending the Hall of Fame Banquet with special guest Howard Dean (www.iowademocrats.org) in Cedar Rapids, speaking with the Washington and Henry County Democrats, and continuing discussions with leaders of various constituency groups in preparation for my time in D.C. mid-June to mid-July.

In the meantime, I would like to hear what issues are most critical to you. I know, for instance, that many are very concerned about the war in Iraq, as I am. My stepson served seven months in the Marines in Ramadi and I do not want to see him return. His spouse, also a Marine, is scheduled to deploy in Iraq perhaps as early as August. As the death toll on all sides mounts, Americans are becoming more and more convinced that this a misdirected effort on the part of the Bush administration.

I will continue to listen to folks as I get around the district and I will be making a decision as to whether I enter this race soon after my return from D.C. in mid-July (and the more I talk to folks, the more likely it is I will do this). In any case, I have no doubt that we can win this seat. And it should go without saying that if we win this seat, we will take back the House of Representatives!

As always, I looking forward to hearing from you and please feel free to send this message on to your friends, family, listservs, blogs, etc.

Thanks and take care.

David


No comments: