Monday, June 13, 2005

If you believe they put a man on the moon

If you believe they put a man on the moon

"I don't have a specific date, but sometime between 2015, which is the earliest we think we can do it, and 2020, which would be the latest," said Michael Griffin, the new administrator of NASA, when asked at the Paris Air Show about NASA plans to return to the moon.


I don't remember Apollo 11, but I do remember Apollo 13 and the later successful missions. The typical liberal cry is "spend the money on Earth" (as if rockets were fueled with $100 bills and the wages paid to scientists and contractors somehow beam up) Plus there's those Cold War era associations: rockets equals missiles equals bombs equals thermonuclear war. Just yesterday I saw a bumper sticker that was popular a couple years ago:

Hey, George - Mars sounds great. I'll help you pack!


So space is for Republicans and kind of foolish at that.

Most of my social and personal life is spent with liberal politicos, and there's a sizable minority of us spaceheads in that community. Yet for the reasons listed above it usually remains unspoken until someone stumbles onto it - then there's a joyous, "I'm not alone!" moment when we stumble onto each other and share our secret.

,

No comments: