Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Movie Quotes

Movie Quotes

A feast for the list lover and film lover in me: the 100 Greatest Movie Quotes. Naturally I'm disappointed that MY favorite movie got blocked out of the #1 spot by my mother's favorite movie, but at least Brando gets Quotes Number 2 and 3.

To make room, disqualify real life moments like Lou Gehrig's "luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech and "Houston, we have a problem" (a well known line since Jim Lovell uttered it from space in 1970, 24 years before Tom Hanks repeated it on screen). ("Win one for the Gipper" is borderline, given its intersection of life, film, and politics.) Also, clear out a few excess Clint and AHnold catchphrases, and then I'll forgive the omission of "Please return the egg" from Godzilla vs. Mothra. But we'll leave Jack Nicholson's "heeeere's Johnny!" from The Shining. True, it was Ed McMahon's catchphrase first, but Jack stole it and bolted it down. Can you really hear the Carson intro without thinking of that ax busting down the door?

With that out of the way, here's some missing favorites:

  • "Funny how? Funny like a clown?"
  • NOTHING from The Princess Bride?!? I dearly love "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, it would be a pity to damage yours," but you would have to go with "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
  • Speaking of Rob Reiner films: "These go to eleven."
  • Wrong Silence of the Lambs line. The correct answer is "I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."
  • James Bond shows up twice but I like Goldfinger's "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!"
  • and of course "Kill the wabbit" from What's Opera Doc. Songs are ineligible, but Elmer Fudd SAYS it too. While we're there, Bugs' "eeeeh... Next!" that concludes The Rabbit Of Seville is almost as good.

    Update: For the truly insane here are the top 400 nominees in irritating .pdf. Having cheated and read it, and having seen some of my faves on that, I disqualify myself from any more revisions.
  • No comments: