Sunday, October 16, 2005

Cold-Brew Coffee

Cold-Brew Coffee

Caffeine is my main remaining vice (some would argue my political activity is a vice but I prefer to think of it as a virtue). I stumbled onto a twist in caffeine delivery systems yesterday that I'd heard of but never tried: cold-brewed coffee.

The process is slow and simple. Take a pound of ground coffee and nine cups of water. Soak the grounds with half the water, wait a few minutes. Add the rest of the water. Let it sit 12 hours. Drain it. The end product is coffee concentrate of espresso-plus strength. Refrigerate it and it keeps two to three weeks. To drink add hot water to your preferred strength - some sources recommend three parts water to one part coffee concentrate, but that seems weak to my French-press tastes, you might try half and half. Or use it like a cold espresso shot.

The trick is the containers for this process. A company called Toddy mkes these things; I picked it up at a junk store for 5 bucks but new they're about 30. My resale price seems more appropriate for what you get:



  • a right-sized steeping container with a hole in the bottom
  • a cork
  • a heavy cotton or cloth filter; about the size of a half dollar (ever see those anymore?) and about 1/4 inch thick
  • a carafe to catch the juice
  • a tight-fitting lid for the carafe

    Put the filter in the bottom of the container, add the grounds, the water, wait. Pull the cork, let it drain into the carafe.

    Someone more mechanically ept than me - how come inept is a word but ept isn't? - someone more mechanically ept than me could certainly make one of these for less than $30, or even less than $5. But all I find online is Toddy, so this is clearly a void in human knowledge aching to be filled. Have at it.
  • No comments: