Monday, June 26, 2006

More Sales Tax Talk from Sullivan

More Sales Tax Talk from Sullivan

From Supervisor Rod Sullivan's weekly newsletter this morning:

As regular readers know, I do not support the use of sales taxes. Sales taxes shift the burden for funding government from the rich to the poor. I see them as politically expedient, but frankly immoral.

So, it is with great interest that I watch the ICCSD Board of Directors struggle with a Local Option Sales Tax proposal. Proponents were dealt a blow when the cities knocked on the door, suggesting that the money be split. Johnson County followed up with a similar request. (I voted against the motion, but it carried 4-1.)

I know many people who would swallow hard and vote for a sales tax "for the kids"; the same empathy does not exist for the cities (or the County, for that matter). I think a sales tax solely for schools might pass; I think including everyone else will guarantee failure.

So, the ICCSD is placed in a difficult position. Include the municipalities and put the passage in serious jeopardy (see previous failed attempts), or leave them out and be criticized for not being a team player.

I feel for the School Board members who are faced with this difficult choice. I only wish it would cause them to reconsider this tax increase on the poor.


Nice talk. He throws a nice party too: never seen so many politicos in one place with NO SPEECHES.




Other key weekend events:

  • Went to an open house at my former home. Looks nice, but not as much more nice as they're asking.

  • And Nicole Kidman got married (not to me).
  • No comments: