Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday's Clips

Tuesday's Clips

A month or so back, John Rich of Big And offewred a posthumous Johnny Cash endorsement for Johnny Mac. The Man In Black himself remeains unavailable for comment. But with the fifth anniversary of his death just past, daughter Rosanne Cash (a great musician in her own right) speaks on the family's behalf:
'There are a lot of things that I read about my father that I let pass. This I just couldn't let pass. It's their presumption that's so galling. My father was a real human being with a lot of political passion and his own ideas. Even though he's been gone five years, it's not OK to borrow his beliefs - or what you assume to be his beliefs.

'If I had initially responded by saying things that I know to be true about his political beliefs then I would have been doing the same thing - co-opting his views for my own agenda, and that's still not fair, even though I'm his daughter. I've always tried to restrain myself - I only said recently how opposed he was to the invasion of Iraq.

Rosanne goes on to criticize the over-emphasis on celebrity endorsements... but offers her own anyway.

  • Speaking of celebrities, when you check out your groceries you'll see Sarah Palin on about five tabloid covers. The latest: She ain't just Downs baby right to life -- she's clinic-picketin' anti-choice, too!
    At one point during the hospital battle, passions ran so hot that local antiabortion activists organized a boisterous picket line outside Dr. Lemagie's office, in an unassuming professional building across from Palmer's Little League field. According to Bess and another community activist, among the protesters trying to disrupt the physician's practice that day was Sarah Palin.


  • Every election cycle, a race comes out of nowhere. Last time, of course, that was Dave Loebsack right here. Remember this name: state senator Kay Hagan of North Carolina. She's Elizabeth Dole's opponent -- and CQ just changed the race to TOSSUP.
  • No comments: