Monday, June 08, 2009

Novoselic won't vote for self

Novoselic: Vote for me? Nevermind

More local coverage on former Nirvana member Krist Novoselic and his campaign for county clerk: seems it is entirely about a challenge to Washington's "top two primary" law.

“I’m voting for Kay Holland,” Novoselic said of his opponent, a fellow Democrat appointed county clerk in January to fill a vacancy. “I love Kay. She works hard in that office and she’s a good public servant. I’m behind her 100 percent.”

"Under the current rules, candidates are allowed to list a party preference on the ballot," writes the Spokane Spokesman-Review. "The parties have no say in who uses the name."

And that's Novoselic's beef: he supports the law itself, but wants parties to keep control over their names. In protest, he's running under the label "Grange Party." The Grange is a rural progressive group with 140 year old roots, but is nonpartisan and does not endorse candidates. Novoselic is head of both his local Grange and the county Democratic Party.

One of my commenters suggests he change one letter and run as "Grunge Party." And I'm really sorry about that headline, but how could I not?

No comments: