Sunday, February 14, 2010

My New Furry Friend

My New Friend

I swore I wasn't going to get another cat after Spot died, We were just going to have the two cats for a few years. But sometimes decisions make themselves.



Meet Shadow. This guy was the reason for the Wisconsin road trip a couple weeks back. How he came to be our cat goes like this: My brother's mother in law passed away about a month or so ago, and among all the practical decisions that have to be made at a time like that came the question of Grandma's cat. Everyone else is allergic, and hey! Uncle John loves cats.



A little research about feline integration later, I said okee dokee. First couple days looked rough, with lots of hiding under our bed. Then we had a few days of taking turns with different parts of the house ("OK, it's Shadow's turn for the living room, get Dylan and Xavier to the basement"... reverse, repeat). But by last weekend everyone was ready to check each other out. Some hissing and growling, but no wounds, which is better than Xavier got when he moved in on Butter a few years back.



Now they're eating from the same food dish and sharing the litter box, and Shadow's getting used to the people too. (Koni's his favorite, but he sleeps on my feet when he thinks I'm asleep). And my string is intact: I've still never named a cat (my nephew picked him out for Grandma and named him). I always thought if I ever got a black cat I'd name him Lucky. But we're pretty lucky with Shadow so far.

1 comment:

Tara van Brederode said...

Congratulations, John! We are so happy with our two cats...but I had a dream the other night that we had 11. (Don't tell Jeff.)

Our all-black cat is Jinx, not in the negative-jinx sense but in the "two people said the same thing at the same time" sense.