Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Laundry Lessons

Sock Matching as Social Tool

One of my favorite domestic jobs is matching socks. We keep a "mismate bag" which, with two small boys, fills up fast. Once a week or so I go through them. It's like a big fuzzy jigsaw puzzle, or minesweeper with mismates. I always though that would make a good laundry product ad: a balding middle age type - like myself - matching socks to the tune of "Reunited" by Peaches and Herb.

My 10 year old, however, has more rigid gender role ideas: "The ultimate... destruction... of man! Matching socks!" he intoned in a all start wrestling announcer voice, emasculating me in the midst of my weekly ritual.

Koni thinks this is a consciousness raising opportunity. She also thinks summer room cleaning is a similar opportunity. The guys, however, seem more interested in the lawnmower. Not the boring, pick up the sticks part; the cool, pull the starter and listen to the rrrrrrroar part.

No comments: