Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Change Coming To Deeth Blog

Two months from today I have a major life event: a birthday ending in a zero.

I launched the Deeth Blog at the end of 2002 at age 39 and my slogan served me well through my 40s. I'm making you do the math as I can't bring myself to say it yet.

I haven't given up trying. I am, after all, the self-appointed senior defender of student rights, and I'm sincerely looking forward to that new Lady Gaga release (do they even say "album" anymore?) next month.



See? I know memes and everything.

In my defense I am remarkably immature for my age. But to be honest, any effort to stay pop-culture current in my own right ended about the day Kurt Cobain died, which is a whole person old enough to vote (if not legally drink) ago. If I know what's going on now it's because I have teen and tween kids.

So before that AARP membership card arrives, before they put me out on the ice floe, before I get called before an Obamacare Death Panel, I'm just admitting it. I am, or will soon be, finally old enough to not care. I should have admitted that about the time I got the title "grandpa."

On December 16, the Deeth Blog will permanently retire the slogan "too old to be cool, too young not to care." I may not choose a permanent replacement and instead use the tag line as another place to express the idea of the moment. Or maybe as I contemplate this millstone milestone, I'll come up with something concise and snarky yet curmudgeonly.

Suggestions are welcome. One thing's for certain, though: it will NOT be put up to a vote of the readers. That's how I got stuck with the damn beret.

No comments: