Thursday, April 02, 2015

Assume Deeth Dead

Due to circumstances beyond my control I have decided to withdraw from the U.S. Senate race.

I have given this decision to leave the race as much careful consideration as I did my announcement. I still strongly believe I could have won the primary based on my strong endorsements.


Celebreties were lining up to support me.

And I could have been the senator to unite a divided nation.
But I was betrayed by one of my strongest supporters.


But not only did I lose Hillary's endorsement, the attacks escalated, from more predictable enemies.

The attacks were devastating:
Some people mocked me for running my campaign entirely on social media, even though my two primary opponents were doing pretty much the same. But I suspect I would have been outmatched by the master of Twitter in the general. 

And when Prince denied me song rights to use the campaign theme songs at my rallies, I knew it was time to pack it in.

But I learned a lot about my state in my brief campaign. There was a little Johnson County bashing that quickly vanished, almost as if someone had responded first, then checked the calendar. And almost as if someone had responded before checking last year's election returns and seeing that we were 13 to 15 points more Democratic than any other county in the state in every race.

I heard some encouraging rumors that may make my candidacy unnecessary. So I'm not endorsing either of my erstwhile primary rivals.

Most important, I learned who was smart enough to get the joke, and who was smart enough to get the point.

No comments: