Saturday, December 31, 2005

Rest Of U2 Perfectly Fine With Africans Starving

Rest Of U2 Perfectly Fine With Africans Starving

The Onion ran that headline three weeks ago. Ha, ha, ha.

Today, from CNN, we get:

Bono: My campaigning upset U2


Which makes the Onion that much funnier.

Without peeking, can you tell which quote is real, and which is Onion?

  • Bono acknowledged that his campaigning had sometimes "raised eyebrows" among his fellow band members.

    "When I do my rant on making poverty history, I have got Larry Mullen, our drummer, behind me looking at his watch, timing me."


  • Larry Mullen Jr.: "If I could wave a magic wand and cure Africa's problems, I would do that. But someone has to take care of the more practical, day-to-day stuff that Bono doesn't really bother with. Like, for example, how's the next album going to sound? How're we going to keep our live act fresh? I can't tell you how many millions of decisions go into making one Elevation tour."


  • Bono: "There was one point when I thought `I'm going to be thrown out of the band for this stuff. People just openly jeered, and I felt like I was a weight around my band's neck for doing this kind of work."


  • "I was happy to help out with the Live 8 thing," said Adam Clayton, referring to the July mega-concert benefit. "But ever since I discovered rock 'n' roll in the mid-'70s, music has been my passion, and I'd be lying if I said it was something different, like helping people."

    Clayton added: "I don't have a problem with [Bono] trying to save Africa. Who knows, it might inspire some decent songs. But just as long as it doesn't interfere with the band."
  • No comments: